Monday, August 27, 2012

Calvin and Hobbes on Death

I'm trying to post more often, so I'm allowing myself to post more fragmented thoughts now and then rather than huge essays.

I was reading a Calvin and Hobbes collection the other day and stumbled across a story I knew very well: The Raccoon Story.  Reading it again after all these years, and after experiencing such a life altering series of events, it touched me even more deeply than ever has before.

I included the entire story for those who aren't as well versed in the series, but it's really the last four that really get to me.




And here's where the story really starts hitting me:


Maybe I'll show that last panel to my boyfriend so he'll quit smoking once and for all... Haha.

It's interesting to know that death inspires the same foundational thoughts regardless of the circumstances.  But I think what I like the most about these sets of panels is that it feels like an old friend reaching out to comfort me.

No comments:

Post a Comment