Friday, July 27, 2012

The Jenna Feast

It's been a while since I've posted. There have been some family things that have scattered my thoughts a bit (I will be writing about them in my next post) and on a more positive note, I finally have a job! It's childcare - which is totally easy for me - and pays well, which is exactly what I need right now. Unfortunately, the job takes a lot out of me and writing each blog post can be a bit of an endeavor for me. It's made me realize that I really need to just take a day every week, get up early, and just type. So that's what I'm doing!

This post has been one of my favorites! Thank you so much to everyone who participated. It made such wonderful use of our Facebook Page! Click the link and like us if you haven't already so you can stay in touch!

SO... Everyone who knew Jenna knew that she LOVED food. I'm quite sure this attribute was genetic. The only person who loves food more than Jenna is my dad.  They would both get visibly excited and/or cranky when it came to meal time.  Food was serious business.

So I've arranged a list of all the foods she loved and some great stories about her eating habits.  As you can see, I've scattered quotes throughout this list.  If you have something to add about a specific food, go ahead and message me and I'll put it in right away!

My plan is to eventually use this list to plan a REAL feast and document the experience. Maybe even take some of the things she loved and find recipes that give them a bit of a twist.  I encourage you all to do the same.  She had excellent taste.

So here's the most important element in your Jenna Feast... The list:

The Foods Jenna Loved

Eating Out
  • SUBWAY - Turkey on wheat with lettuce, mayo, American cheese, and jalapenos ("Specifically requesting you make sure they put more than like 5 on it if you were picking it up for her" - Lauren Krauth)

"She ate foot-long subs (breakfast/lunch) for a week straight this year because she didn't want to go grocery shopping."
- Heidi Anderson

  • CHILI'S - Molten Chocolate Cake 
  • DAIRY QUEEN – Blizzards, Ice Cream Cake 
  • TACO BELL – Cheesy gordita crunch, cheese roll-up, soft shell taco, add sour cream 


"First week of college, Jenna and I went to taco bell. After we ordered Jenna told me to get out of the car and hide behind the corner. She said 'when the lady hands my food out, run by and steal the food and keep running' I was like, Jen wtf?? And she said 'no trust me, we'll get a whole nother order for free and I'll pick you up down the street' Sure enough... It worked." - Paige Mosier

"T-Bell at all hours of the day" 
- Mark Wickstrom

  • BURGER KING – Chicken fries 
  • SUSHI MURAMOTO – Asparagus rolls and edamame - Always a go-to choice with the family or with Samantha Bakke and Laura Phelan
  • NOODLES AND CO. – Pad Thai no sprouts or carrot), Pot Stickers 
  • MCDONALD'S - McChicken with cheese, Hash Browns, Egg McMuffin 

We once decided to take a detour one morning and make ourselves late for school because Jenna had a SERIOUS craving for hash browns and I had a homework assignment I didn't want to turn in anyway.  We forged a note and made it to second mod.  And by forged I mean we got lucky and found out that our first mod classes were cancelled anyway so no harm done!  Because we can't break rules even when we try! 0:D


  • IMPERIAL GARDEN/ASIA EXPRESS – Chicken Fried Rice 
  • BUFFALO WILD WINGS – 6 Asian Zing, 6 Mango Habanero with 3 Ranch Cups 
  • CHEDD'S – Grilled cheese with cheddar cheese, pepperoni, and ranch
  • ERBS AND GERBS
"She would stuff it in her face and it would end up all her over!!" - Carrie Dercks
(Side Note: For those of you who do not get the joke in this picture, CLICK HERE)
  • SMOTHERELLA STICKS – Pasta with Garlic Butter and lots of Parmesan
  • MILIO'S
  • WENDY'S - Chocolate Frosties
"I was in the car though when Dirk, Jenna, and I first started hanging out and after a movie one night we went to Wendy's by West Town and all got chocolate frosties. I was sitting shot gun and Dirk was in the back. Jenna made us promise that we weren't going to spill in her car because it was her classic jeep and she had just cleaned it out. Naturally, Dirk spilled his frosty all over the middle console and it leaked down under the seats...sticky!" - Jack Cullen
  • COLD STONE
  • GLASS NICKEL PIZZA

"In middle school we'd be starving and Jenna always wanted to order glass nickel pizza but we didn't have money, so we'd spend an hour scouring the house and coat pockets and couches scrapping up change to order a pizza. We always succeeded." - Kayla (Eichorst) Shrago

"The funniest part of us ordering glass nickel at every sleepover at your pebble beach house was that she would make me go around the house with her and look for miscellaneous money - including in coat pockets in every coat in your house, the laundry dryer, etc." - Sarah Keller


Breakfast

  • OMELETS – Cheese, Ham, Green Peppers, Onions (A post-ROTC PT favorite)
  • FRUITY/COCOA PEBBLES 
  • WAFFLE CRISP 


At one point in time, when Jenna was younger, she lived off of cereal. Perhaps that's why she missed her growth spurt. Who knows. But she went through a Pebbles phase and a Waffle Crisp phase. That is all I remember her eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

  • REESE'S PUFFS 
  • POPTARTS 


Lunch/Dinner: 
  • EASY MAC - This was a STAPLE of Jenna's dieat.

  • STOUFFER'S MAC AND CHEESE
  • SPAGHETTI-O'S AND GRILLED CHEESE - Courtesy of my Dad:)
  • FROZEN MEALS
"I always got a kick out of her telling us she was going grocery shopping and would come home with 2 bags of frozen food from the gas station." - Lauren Batcher
  • CALAMARI 
  • QUESADILLAS
  • GRANDMA'S MASHED POTATOES AND CORN

Grandma had a special recipe for her corn that she only brought out on holidays.  Jenna would always try to smuggle some home with her.
  • FROZEN PIZZA WITH RANCH DRESSING
  • CAESAR SALAD
  • PASTA – Spaghetti and Fettuccine Alfredo 


Fettuccine Alfredo was always Jenna's go-to dish if she wasn't sure what she liked in a restaurant.  When she was relatively young and we went on our Disney Cruise, she would special order it from the kitchen almost every night because she never wanted any of the evening's specials.




"Of course I fixed spaghetti whenever Jenna wanted a special meal. I never followed a recipe but basically it was a jar of spaghetti sauce, can of tomato sauce, small can of tomato paste, hamburger, throw in some oregano, chili powder, sugar, bay leaf, basil, garlic. She had to have Kraft powdered parmesan, not the grated that I liked. Served with cheese bread and a glass of milk." - Mom





Dessert


  • COOKIE DOUGH 
  • OREOS WITH PEANUT BUTTER
  • BROWNIES 
  • MAMBAS 
  • SNICKER DOODLES
  • FUNNEL CAKE
  • GODIVA
  • DRUMSTICKS 
  • RIESEN CHOCOLATES
  • COOKIE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
  • PHISH FOOD AND MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM





When we were little, Jenna and I used to melt our mint chocolate chip ice cream then stir it into soup.  We would then pretend it was "our medicine" that we had to take before bed.  At first we would pretend that we didn't want it and then we'd take it with a look on our face suggesting that we were prepared for something gross.  When we "realized" our medicine tasted like ice cream however, we would look at each other with wide eyes, lift up our hair on either side like we had pigtails that were flying up or something, and squeak "MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm!!!"






Snacks
Posted to Jenna's wall by Brynn Caslavka

  • FRITO CHIP DIP
  • QUESO DIP
  • SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
  • ORIGINAL RUFFLES
  • BAGELS WITH CREAM CHEESE
  • VELVEETA
  • SLICES OF GREEN PEPPERS DIPPED IN RANCH
  • NACHO DORITOS
  • GRANDMA'S MINI SANDWICH CREMES  - These and the nachos were her library food of choice.



Drinks


"Whenever I'd come to Wisconsin, Jenna would begrudgingly take me to Starbucks to get a chai. She loved Victor Allen's and would insist that their chais were way better. She'd always take me though" - Amanda Sorensen


  • CHAI 
  • BLUE GATORADE
  • VODKA CRANBERRY- The only hard alcoholic drink her acid reflux could handle...
  • MILLER LITE - Keeping it classy
  • HOT CHOCOLATE
  • WATER


(Clearly Inferior)


"She drank A TON of water each day. Always out of her pink water bottle. And her pink water bottle had a blue mouth piece while a lot of the other pink water bottles like her had a clearish/grayish one. So, whenever she saw someone with that same pink water bottle as her, she would laugh and say, 'My water bottle is cooler than that one because mine has a blue mouth piece' lol."
- Dirk Van Rybroek








Miscellaneous

PLEASE add to these stories!  They are fantastic:)


"I was riding back to EC from Madison with Jenna and when we stopped for food she asked me where I wanted to go. I said I didn't care, whatever would he easiest for her to eat while driving and she informed me with such pride that she is a pro at eating literally any food while driving and it seriously didnt matter where we went. That girls talents are limitless.- Lauren Krauth



"When we were on spring break, we ate at Spinnakers (a bar/restaurant/club) one night and she was the only one who was still pretty trashed from the festivities earlier that day. She ordered a pulled pork sandwich. The waiter finally came with all of our food and set it down infront of everyone. Once he walked away, we looked around the table to make sure everyone was good to go, and I was sitting next to Jenna. As I looked to her, I realized she had already eaten the entire sandwich before any of us had even taken more than two bites. I caught her licking all of her fingers as they were covered in bbq sauce and the best part was that she sat for a few minutes seriously considering ordering another sandwich but the waiter didn't come back soon enough." - Melanie Laursen




"She loved Luden's cough drops (at least when she was little) cause they tasted like candy. She told me she would always ask your mom for some and then she would run away to her room and eat them right away then run back to your mom and say, "Mom can I have some more?" until the box was gone Then your mom would say they're all out.  I would always ask her, "What did you say to that?" and Jenna would respond in this whiny/baby voice "Moooooooom." For some reason I loved when she did that when she told me that story. I asked her to tell it all the time." - Dirk Van Rybroek







"There was that awful, horrendous looking fruitcake that Perry brought to Christmas one year... but we both ate some anyway. It was terrible." - Emily Bisbach





"One night after we were out Jenna and I got Buzzy's (a pizza place on water street) and took it to go but I couldn't really finish mine so I just threw the half-eaten slice away. The next morning after seeing it in the trash she yelled at me for throwing it away because she would have eaten it, then decided that it wasn't too contaminated and pulled it out of the trash can and ate it anyway." - Lauren Krauth  
(This is probably one of my favorite stories... Especially since I could imagine doing the same thing...)

"I mean the girl ate everything haha..." - Samantha Bakke



So there you have it.  The foods Jenna loved the most.  So now what do you do with it?  Like I said, my roommates and I plan to make our own feast.  We will be posting our experience in the near future.  I also  have a great idea that involves all of YOU! If anyone else out there decides to do a Jenna feast and sends me pictures of the experience (e-mail me at alroark16@gmail.com or post to the Facebook page), I will send you a prize.  I don't know what it will be yet, but I'll make sure it's moderately awesome and Jenna related.

It's so weird.  You know people so well but when it comes down to it, it's remarkable how much you missed out on.  Their statistics and everything.  I'm so grateful to all of the friends that helped me put this together.  That we have a community to piece together the things that made Jenna so special is really precious.  It means so much to me.  

Thank you again to everyone who participated.  I hope this made you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment